This book covers iOS 12 app design fundamentals using the latest Swift 5 programming language, Xcode 10.2 and iOS 12.2 SDK.
The author assumes you have no experience in app development. The book starts with the installation of the required programming environment and setting up the simulators. Then, the simplest “Hello World” app is developed step by step. In the next chapter, basics of the Swift 5 programming language are given with practical examples. Screenshots and code snippets are clearly given in the book to guide the reader. After the Swift lecture, 7 real world apps are developed again by step by step instructions. Each code line is explained. As the reader follows the development of the example apps, he/she will learn designing user interfaces, connecting interface objects to code, developing efficient Swift code and testing the app in simulators and real devices.Sample apps developed in this book are as follows:
1. Disco lights app: Learn the basics of app development and use buttons in your code.
2. Body mass index (BMI) calculator app: Using input boxes, performing calculations and displaying the results on the screen.
3. Simple die roller app: Using random number generator functions, including image sets in your project, displaying images on the screen and changing the displayed image using Swift code.
4. Exercise calorie calculator app: Using global variables, creating tabbed apps and utilizing segmented controls.
5. Show my location app: Adding a map object to your app, setting required permissions, accessing GPS device and showing real time location on the map.
6. SOS sender app: Adding SMS functionality, setting required permissions and sending real time location using SMS.
7. Bounce the ball game: Basics of SpriteKit that is used to develop 2D iOS games, adding objects to the game, sensing screen touches, moving game objects according to touches, combining all these and more to develop a complete ball bouncing game.
This book includes 214 figures and 101 code snippets that are used to explain app development concepts clearly. Full resolution colour figures and complete project files can be viewed and downloaded from the the book’s website: yamaclis.com/swift5.